Let me start this post off by getting one thing straight: I am not inviting anyone to throw a pity party, nor am I likening my experiences to those of the slave trade. However, there is a major emotion that Aminata experiences throughout the book that I understand on a level many cannot. There is no feeling like the loss of a parent. I do not have words to describe it. Both Aminata and I lost our fathers unexpectedly in a gun accident when we were young girls. The death of my father is by far the biggest obstacle in my life. Just like Aminata, the pain travels with me no matter where I go, and his memory haunts me each and every day. This is not a type of obstacle that you can overcome. For this reason, I empathize with Aminata's trying to listen for her father's words for guidance. Sometimes, the memory of those few sentences is all that can give me perspective. Each day is an uphill battle knowing I stand at a disadvantage to those who have fathers to guide them, but I also get a little bit stronger.

Claye, this is amazing. I can't imagine how hard this has been for you but to be able to relate this to The Book Of Negores is unbelievable. Posts like this show why you're going to be so succesful. I can imagine this post may not have been the easiest to write but I just wanted to say it was very well written, and that you are one of the strongest people I know!
ReplyDeleteOur appreciation for great literature often comes from our ability to connect with the story, or protagonist, on a personal level. I am glad you could empathize with Aminata, although I am very sorry for the circumstances. You’re right: losing someone is not something we can “overcome”. Aminata teaches us to cherish the memories we have and to remember to celebrate those that we have lost. Claye, I know your father would be very proud of the person you have become and what you have accomplished thus far in your life.
ReplyDelete